Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Light the Night

Happy Wednesday Rewind- on Thursday!

Today, I'm talking all about our Light the Night theme.
This is one of the kids favorite themes and is so simple and easy to plan.

Last Wednesday, we passed out these little postcards to all the kids.
While I give everyone a calendar, I always pass out a little card to hand to parents that they can stick on the refrigerator to remind them of what we have going on this week.

If you would like a copy of my template please e-mail me at kidsmincalling@gmail.com and I will be glad to share with you!  

Last year, I had quite an elaborate set-up with a strobe light and smoke machine.  This year, my day slipped away from me so the set-up wasn't quite elaborate but the kids still loved it!  All I did was cover the windows in the doors with black fabric, and place led candles (battery operated) around the game time circle.  In order to keep the room from getting too dark I also leave my stage lights on low to help illuminate the room just a bit.  

All the kids bring a flashlight, but I also have a box of about 20 flashlights that I bought for $1.00 each that I save and put out for kids who may have forgotten their flashlight.  Kids get to use their flashlights during the opening ceremony, council time (if their teachers choose) and during game time. 

I leave the lights on during all times of transition and turn the lights back off for game time only after everyone is on their color line.  This is a great, fun, and inexpensive theme to use for your kids.  This year, it cost me $0 because I saved all of my flashlights and candles from last year.  

As always, safety should be your number 1 goal.  Make sure you know where your kids are at all times and that you play games during game time that are safe to play in low light.  This is our 2nd year using this theme and we haven't had any injuries minus your usual game time bumps and scrapes.  It is always best though to exercise caution at all times. 

This is a great night to talk about how Jesus is the light of the world, walking in the light/truth, and shining our light for Jesus to all our friends and family.  

Have you ever used a light the night theme?  
What worked or didn't work for you?  

Let me know in the comments!  

Come back next Thursday for a break-down of Team Spirit Night!  

For questions about Light the Night or any theme idea please e-mail kidsmincalling@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment