Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

#KidsMin from A to Z: Do It Yourself

It's Friday, and this is my 5th day in a row to have a blog post ready!
Bring on the weekend!  For one thing I get to see my fiance' (saying that never gets old).  After two weeks apart we are so ready to see each other.  We will also get to spend Sunday getting to do fun wedding stuff like picking a date (officially) and deciding on a wedding venue.  Two things that all of our loved ones are getting pretty desperate to know.  And let's be honest, this Bride is ready to get into full fledged picking out flowers, designing centerpieces, and buying a dress wedding planning.  I will promise to not let the blog get to overrun with wedding stuff between now and wedding day, but a girl has to be able to share something.  


Speaking of sharing something... this is a letter in my new series that you do NOT want to miss.  
B is for Butcher Paper and Bibles 
C is for Curriculum and Communication

That's right, today I'm talking all about ways to cut costs, get creative, and do things yourself.  One thing that I is very important to me is running my ministries on cost-effective budgets.  I'm very aware of the fact that I am using God's money to minister and I want to make the most of it!  One of the biggest ways that I do that is by doing things myself.  I think it's great if you have a large budget and you can buy things already made and put together, but that just doesn't work for me.  

Here's a great example... VBS and crafts.  When I was coordinating my VBS this year I began investigating the cost of crafts.  Just to give you an idea I had an average of 110 kids every night.  Now, to buy the craft packs from the distributor (which again if you can afford to do is great) would have cost me close to $1,000!  When I saw that price my jaw dropped.  However, what I chose to do instead was to gather the supplies myself to still make the same crafts from my local craft stores.  By shopping smartly, using coupons, and throwing a craft prep party to pre-package our crafts I cut that $1,000 estimate into a third.  

I know that so many times we want our ministries to be fabulous and we think that means everything must look top notch and professional.  While it is important that we do things with excellence, that doesn't mean that everything has to look perfect.  Does your nursery need a new paint job?  Head to your local hardware store, buy your paint, and throw a painting party for your volunteers.  Have them help you do it yourself.  You'll save money just by not paying for a professional painter.  Have you been wanting a puppet stage?  Build one for yourself. 

Here's what is important to remember about doing it yourself... Everything is possible!  If I looked at projects and believed that I couldn't make them happen then I would never get anything done.  I would have to buy everything and my budget would be shot for the year.  Do you need new postcards or promotional items?  Design them yourself.  Are you looking for new and creative crafts?  Scrounge around in your resource or supply room and get creative.  It's nothing for our staff members to come into my office once a week and see me sitting on the floor surrounded by a glue gun and craft supplies working on a new project.  

The important thing to remember is that you don't have to buy everything new and to get creative!  Don't be afraid to think outside of the box and use what you have laying around.  One of the questions I get asked the most frequently is... Did you make that?  When I say yes people are often amazed at what I can come up with.  Bottom line... if your looking to cut your budget do less buying and more making.  

For more ideas on ways that you can Do It Yourself feel free to visit my Pinterest boards here

Next week I'll be talking about:
Expectations
Flexibility and Follow-Up
Games
Holidays
Ice Cream

Those are going to be super fun days that you don't want to miss!  

Have a fabulous weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment