Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas {Volunteer Appreciation}

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!

That was the theme for last night's volunteer Christmas party and have a holly jolly Christmas we did.  And sadly, I took absolutely no pictures!  (I know... I'm a terrible blogger.)

Today, I'm talking about why volunteer appreciation is so important and the little things that we can do to make them feel loved.  Last night as I was welcoming my volunteers, this is what I said... "I want you, my volunteers, to know that I am thankful for you.  I can plan.  I can direct.  I can organize.  I can promote events.  I can do many things.  What I cannot do is take care of 75+ children by myself.  I have to have the help of volunteers."  There has never been a truer statement.  As #KidsMin we often feel like we do it all and like we can do it all, but we can't.  We have to have the help of our volunteers.

It's so important to make sure that our volunteers know that they are loved and appreciated.  This year I threw a Holly Jolly Christmas party just for my volunteers.  I served finger foods and dessert.  I decorated our dining hall with bright table cloths and Christmas prints.  We spent our time talking to one another and playing a few fun games.  It was all very low key and meant to be a fun and joyous time for everyone.  And I truly believe that it was.  

However, it's important that our volunteers feel loved and appreciated all year round.  

Here are some simple ways to show our thanks.

1) Say Thank You!  It's such a little thing but often overlooked.  I try to make it a point to stop by our nurseries every Sunday morning and tell our volunteers thank you for serving that Sunday.  

2) Send Cards!  At the end of every VBS I write out a short note to all of my volunteers and send it to them via snail mail.  I include in the card things that we accomplished through VBS because of their service.  

3) Post status' updates about them!  Any of my facebook friends could tell you that I love to brag on my volunteers.  There is no better way to do that than social media.  Here's a status that I posted last night telling everyone how much I loved my volunteers!



4) Bring them treats.  There are such cute ideas on Pinterest that are simple to do.  Visit my volunteer appreciation board here and be sure to follow to see new things I pin.  Bags of hot cocoa during the winter, or candy corn during the fall, are easy ways to let your volunteers know that they are appreciated. 

5) Have your kids write them thank you cards.  Nothing says thank you more than a 3rd graders hand writing to their favorite volunteer telling them why they love them.  Every once in a while I'll have a classroom spend 10 minutes making cards for a certain batch of volunteers and my volunteers always appreciate them. 

There are so many other ways that we can share our thanks and appreciation! 

Here are 2 cute ways that I saw on Pinterest to tell your volunteers thank you!
And they are super simple too.  

Thanks a Latte!


We wash you a Merry Christmas!




How do you tell your volunteers thank you?

Come back by on Thursday to see the pictures from my kids Happy Birthday Jesus party!  

No comments:

Post a Comment